Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I need your votes, please!

Please, bloggy readers, look at this sweater and tell me if you'd let a little girl wear it. Yes, I know it's baby blue. With tan edgings. What was I thinking? Well, the mom requested a neutral sweater, so I chose the tan cashmere. But, my dogs got it, and let's just say the ball shrank exponentially, which in this case means not enough to make a whole sweater (by the way, the "which in this case means" totally cracked me up as I read the Lemony Snickett series... totally funny writing). Anyhoo.... so I had blue yarn on hand and a deep-rooted desire to knit this quickly and frugally. I did indeed do both, since I already had the yarn, and I knit it in just 5 days! The 2nd band is obviously not finished (um, not even started), and the buttons are just lying there, not sewn on, but I wanted to go ahead and get opinions. By the way, this is the actual sweater pattern to see what it would really look like in girly colors. Well, not girly colors, but you'd totally see that on a little girl. I was thinking of doing blue ribbon instead of the i-cord frogs, but it's not working out, so now I just want to sew button holes and be done with it. Do you have an opinion on any of this, even if you're not a knitter? Please, help me... I need to be done and have it mailed by Thursday at the latest, so please give me your advice!! Do the buttons feminize it enough to make it girly? Do you think I should make the frogs as shown (although I like 3 for some reason, not two)? And any other thoughts are welcome!


12 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Misty-
I would totally let my little girl wear that sweater! :) I do buy her "boy clothes" pretty regularly though. I'm too practical to stock up on pink stuff... what if the next baby is a boy? :)

But, really, she loves wearing blue! I think the sparkly buttons really make it girly. If you're really concerned about it, the "frogs" might help make it more feminine (or add bows/flowers somewhere else on the sweater). Great job! :)

Blessings,
Michele

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

I would be thrilled to receive that for my baby girl!! First of all, it's done with love, so that makes it special. And I think baby blue is appropriate for both girls and boys. I was never one of those moms who dressed my daughter up in pink all the time.

I think it's lovely, but as Michelle said, if you want to feminize it a little more, I could see a baby blue ribbon bow on the right side, kind of like at an angle. But I think it's quite nice as it is and I like the buttons better anyways than the original photo.

Thanks for your encouragement yesterday!!

Mellie_Blogs said...

Misty, I would absolutely let a little girl wear it! It seems like blues and browns are all the fashion rage nowadays!

It's pretty! Great work!

a Tonggu Momma said...

I like it for either a boy or a girl - and blue and brown is very stylish these days. And besides, I would NEVER, EVER, NOT EVER complain about a hand-knit sweater. They are always scrumptious.

Misty said...

yay, y'all have just made my day. thank each of you for taking the time to stop by and comment; i appreciate it!!! (and i personally ADORE blue and brown as well!). i may try to do some lazy daisy stitches and see what that yields as well!

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

ABSOLUTELY! I would put in on AJ in a heartbeat. I think the fact that it's baby blue softens it, and the buttons are very feminine. I can totally see that with a cute pair of khakis or jeans. DARLING! Great work, mama.

misti said...

That is REALLY cute. I would definitely buy it for my niece =) I think it is just feminine enough! You're talented!!

Biz said...

Misty, It's beautiful! Don't be so knitterly hard on yourself! LOL The buttons are great. If you are stressing too much..then quick knit a little I-Cord ribbon band to go on her head? Dunno, but I'm lovin' it just the way it is! Awesome job!!! I'm envious of your garment knitting ability!

But, yuk! Snow in DFW?? That's as bad as our -15 weather!
biz

Anonymous said...

i love it! the buttons totally make it girly. it is lovely!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree- girls can wear blue, too! :) I think the "frogs" would add to the femininity of the sweater, actually. You could always add a boy somewhere else, or may two tiny bows at the sleeve cuffs, or something creative. Nothing says "girl" like a bow. :P
I'm impressed by anything hand-knitted. I don't have a clue how to do that!! :)

Kellie said...

OK, I don't have a little girl and I know nothing about knitting, but I would absolutely let a little girl wear that! I can see it w/a little tan skirt and blue slippers. And the buttons are darlin'!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

I think I'm too late for my vote to count...but I vote yes...it is gorgeous