Saturday, March 08, 2008

It's Party Time! (100 things)

Five Minutes for Mom is hosting the Ultimate Blog Party (see link at left), and I can't wait to meet some fellow mom-bloggers! I thought I'd lift an idea I saw on Proverb31's blog party last year... a list of things so you can get to know me! Here are 100 Things About ME:

Five things about my blog/name:
1. Orual is a character from the brilliant C.S. Lewis novel Til We Have Faces
2. I was inspired to write my blog b/cs of the knitting and mom blogs I love to read
3. I couldn't decide if I wanted a knitting blog, a food blog, or a mom blog, so I just decided to combine the three!
4. I hope that I can encourage other women through my musings
5. I am learning the ropes of the internet and blogging, so I still have lots to learn on the design aspects.
Five things about my family
1. I've been married to hunny for 2 yrs, and we've been best friends for 5. He's absolutely the perfect match for me!
2. I am a triplet: one identical sis and one fraternal sis. My identical sis and I were pregnant together w/ our last babies, and I was pregnant w/ my fraternal sis for all of 2 wks (before I had my newest).
3. Bear, my toddler, is an inquisitive little boy who loves to learn and laugh.
4. Bunkin, my newbie, has finally started laughing. It makes the natural labor I had w/ him totally worthwhile!
5. I have two dogs, Pele and Coco, and a cat Mia.
Ten things I like to do (in no particular order)
1. read... I really miss academia and getting to read "serious" fiction
2. write--partly why I started this blog, to tap into that again
3. knit!! even though I swore I would never learn b/cs it was something old ladies do. I stand corrected
4. shop. not in the cliché girly sense... I've never had enough money to just shop for shopping's sake, but I have to admit to the fact that if I feel blue and have money to spend, it very often makes me feel better!
5. watch my babies sleep.
6. talk to my husband... it's really one of my favorite things to do b/cs we click so well and he has such great things to say, and he understands me so well
7. I love researching things on the internet... hubby can troll on the net all day long w/ no particular thing to look for, not me. I have to have a goal, but when I do, I could spend hours looking at my favorite sites, blogs, or whatever.
8. be orderly. I don’t love to clean, but I love having a clean space. so I pretend I'm orderly and work really hard at trying to make it happen.
9. visit w/ friends, talk laugh, play games
10. take looong showers...like for 30 min....
Five of my favorite movies of all time
1. much ado about nothing
2. garden state
3. the princess bride
4. the red violin
5. sliding doors
Ten of my favorite books of all time
1. til we have faces
2. a prayer for owen meany
3. the satanic verses
4. the alchemist
5. the little prince
6. translations
7. love in the time of cholera
8. a heartbreaking work of staggering genius
9. the life of pi
10. wheel of time
Ten “favorites"
1. clean laundry smell
2. homemade chocolate chip cookies
3. the ocean
4. palmer's cocoa butter stick lip balm
5. coke zero
6. spring... especially the flowers
7. coffee
8. green eyes
9. hour long conversations w/ bet
10. old houses
Ten things I don’t like
1. bugs
2. knots
3. bad driving
4. being late
5. feeling lonely
6. coconut and marzipan
7. ppl mistaking religion for God
8. cheaters
9. tantrums
10. smoke/cigarettes
Twenty random things about me
1. I am highly interested in linguistics, and want to be fluent in several languages.
2. I hate politics and philosophy. I feel dumb b/cs I can't seem to wrap my mind around the important issues/themes/language and so I would rather be uninformed sometimes.
3. I have to drink ice in my milk or it's not cold enough.
4. I almost joined the military when I was 24 after a bad break-up. :)
5. I used to hate watching sports, but since meeting my husband have learned to love college basketball and football, and English soccer.
6. I love to daydream
7. I hate money. sometimes I wish we could go back to a barter system.
8. I think I’ve read over 300 books. is that a lot?
9. I love game shows. when my first son was a newborn, I watched many hours of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, Lingo (love that show, hate it's off the air), and Match Game reruns.
10. I'm scared to death of sharks.
11. I could eat chocolate chip cookies every single day.
12. Even though I love words, I hate Scrabble—it seems much more like a mathematical game to me b/cs it requires strategy (a 3-letter word on the right spaces yields more points than a long word on unimportant spaces), ugh.
13. I’m a vegetarian of many years, though while pregnant and breastfeeding eat the protein my body thinks it needs… I had my first fast-food hamburger (EVER) during this last pregnancy.
14. I want to go to culinary school, but think it would be wasted b/cs I don’t actually want to be a chef.
15. I have no memories of childhood before 6.
16. I have 3 tattoos, one Chinese, one Celtic, and one Hebrew.
17. I hated apple juice until I had kids.
18. One of my favorite memories is going to a Dale Chihuly exhibit at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens.
19. I’m addicted to lip balm. I HAVE to have it with me at all times.
20. I correct everyone’s grammar in my head.
Five women who influenced me and how (in no particular order)
1. my mom, whether those are good or bad, I think of her often just b/cs I am a mom now, and it makes me sad that I no longer have a working relationship w/ her.
2. my identical sister bet... I literally would not be me w/out her in my life.
3. my spiritual mom, meg... she has shaped my understanding of Christ’s love and grace, the fact that limits and rules can be a good thing sometimes, and how to live life simply and naturally.
4. Martha Peace. go read her books becoming a Titus 2 woman and The Excellent Wife. Did I mention she also counseled me--she is a-ma-zing
5. and this is a very new and kind of random influence, but proverbs31's blog is what inspired me to finally branch out and write a blog of my own.
If I had ten silly little wishes (and there was nothing more important to wish for…)
1. bet to live here again!
2. that I was closer (relationally) to other sis k.
3. to pay off all my student loans
4. a vacation to somewhere exotic
5. that I could play any instrument just by picking it up.
6. that I were fluent in Spanish
7. possibly a maid to do the gross chores
8. that I had a beautiful garden, full of flowers and vegetables, but didn't have to do any of the work
9. to get all new furniture in my house
10. that some wishes came true! :)
Ten things I want to be when I "grow up"
1. be a wedding photographer
2. be a wedding cake baker
3. be a potter
4. have a knitting design line for kid's clothes
5. be a doula
6. write kid's stories
7. be a professor of English at a private college
8. be a linguist
9. be a caterer
10. be an inspirational author/speaker (like Beth Moore, etc)

Well, I hope you enjoyed getting to know me... I have enjoyed meeting other moms as well. Don't forget to stop by fiveminutesformom.com and check out the Ultimate Party Blog, and all the cool giveaways. Some things I'd really love to win are:
62 — Boca Beth Bilingual Beginner Set; 37 - Moby Wrap; 47 - Flaming Baby legs; 100 = 3 books; 123 blog makeover. so stop on by!!

24 comments:

Lesley said...

Hello, I'm the first one at your party, but I'm always early. Thanks for hosting it. Enjoyed your blog.

Lesley
www.pillowcasetalk.blogspot.com
www.pillowcasegram.com

Angi said...

Clean laundry smell - ahhhh! I smell every piece of laundry as I fold it. Weird huh?!
Party On!

2Forgetful said...

Welcome to the party! Thanks for visiting mine. I love your list of favorites - clean laundry smell was my favorite until I had kids and felt like I was doing laundry 24/7. But I'm right there with you on #2-7.

I really like your party because it was so much easier to get to know you via your list. Enjoy the rest of the party!

Melody said...

Hi, nice to meet you!Thanks for the comment on my blog! It sounds like we have a lot in common. I read your post- really interesting and fun! I love Princess Bride, green eyes, and homemade chocolate chip cookies too :) I'd love to be your bloggy friend! I think I will add you to my list of favorites, your blog is great :)

Nana said...

Hey Misty! Thanks for visiting my party - you've got a great one going on - I feel like I know ya already!

And I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who corrects other people's grammer in her head! HA! I guess it's ok as long as it's not out loud!

I'll be back for sure! Party on!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog! I am looking forward to visiting your blog more this week.

Mercedes said...

WOW! Awesome list! This is Mercedes from southernpixie's blog. I am about 60 miles south of Nashville~Tullahoma (unique name-only one). Probably about 5 hours from you. I live down the road from Jack Daniels. My really good dog blog buddy, Gina (and Tuffy), are from Memphis. You should check her out on my blogroll! Tell her I sent ya! Great party here! Thanks for stopping by!

Kellie said...

Hi Misty! Your blog is just great! Love you list of 100 things, feel like I know you already. You're officially bookmarked! :)

I admit to liking to do laundry... that fresh laundry smell is the reason.

I too LOVE the Princess Bride "Hello, my name is Indigo Montoay, you killed my father, prepare to die!" OK, I may have to pop the DVD in today.

Thanks for saying Hi on my blog!

Michelle said...

It's great to meet you! I feel like I almost know you after reading your 100 things list! Thanks for stopping by, come again anytime :)

I look forward to reading more here and getting to know you better. And, if it's okay, I may just steal your 100 things post idea for this week. Enjoy the party!

~Meshellyn

Becky said...

I am returning the favor of you stopping by my place! It was great to learn about you and I do plan to come back cause I really enjoyed my stay!
Clean laundry smell is the best!
Cocunut is yucky!
Enjoy the party!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED your party post. I might have to steal that for the next party (if that's ok).

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh, such an intelligent and witty blog. I'm so glad you came to visit 2nd cup because now I have found you! Lip balm! CS Lewis! On and on ... commonalities, even the grammar stuff. Party on!

KarenW said...

I so agree with you on the Scrabble game. I love word games but scrabble is not among my faves. I've got a word game going on at my party now. Come on over!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blog Party! I love the lists!! I should do more on my blog b/c I do them around the house all the time. How long did it take you to learn how to knit? I totally want to learn and just requested a bunch of books at the library... ;) Anyway, happy blogging!
Mary Jo

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

thanks for visiting my party. :)
i'm glad i stopped in and got to know a bit more about you.
i'm totally addicted to lip balm too - burt's bees rocks! ;)

Tammy said...

Looks like you are having a great party sorry I'm late. Really enjoyed reading your "100 things."

Thanks for visiting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog :). That list is pretty cool..I may have to do that too.

Jenn said...

Ooooh, I LOVE your list. We have so much in common. So... which languages do you speak? I see that you'd like to be fluent in Spanish... are you trying actively? Or just passively, because you're too busy with kids? Isn't it crazy all we try to accomplish as moms but really find our selves strapped for time. I love clean laundry smell too. Dryer sheets, can't beat that smell. You've inspired me to write a favorite list too. Keep posted. And, thanks for stopping by my blog. Let's keep in touch.

Biz said...

Hey Misty.
I'm not here cuz of your party, but I did want to comment that I really enjoyed reading your hundred things list! We have a lot in common!

biz

Unknown said...

Awesome list.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have really told us alot about you-I loved the post! We have a lot of the same favorites. Glad you are considering homeschooling, its great!

Angela

Anonymous said...

Nice to "meet" you! Thanks for visiting my blog, your blog is great! Hope you're having a good week!

Jan Parrish said...

Thanks for sharing so much about yourself. Stop on over to my party for a favor.

xiaoxia said...

Ugg ugg outlet, Cheap UGG Boots Sale, Ugg Cardy. We have the best ugg boots on
supply. UGGwind.com is always a nice place to buy uggs.