Monday, July 14, 2008

Why do I blog?

One of my favorite blogs is hosting a Blog Mission Tour! The purpose is to simply share why you blog so others can get to know you. My blogging has changed with every entry at times, and in light of my previous post regarding my blog background, the focus invited by this tour has been helpful for me to narrow my focus.

I wrote my first blog entry in January of this year, and even then, I'm not sure I KNEW why I wanted to blog, at least not in terms other than creative expression. I have always loved to write, and to this day still prefer a pen and paper to get my thoughts down if I'm having trouble thinking clearly. I remember in college when it hit me that I'll never be a "Creative Writer" (c'mon, if you were an English major, you know what I mean!), and yet I so preferred the ability to formulate a sentence well and write essays. Since having my first son in 2006, I have had less of a chance to speak coherently, let alone academically, and so I thought blogging would help me feel smart again. Not to mention, the blogs I frequent often inspire me on so many levels, so it makes sense that would carry over into wanting to inspire other women as well. My first entry explains my blog's name, and as I read it again, it really does capture my blog mission: to relay the "joy and art" of my life and the words I can use to express that. This includes my love of knitting when I am able to, my over-fondness of baking (and the ensuing complaints about my weight), my family's antics, and the little lessons God is teaching me along the way: about Him, living simply, trust, biblical womanhood, etc.
Please go check out Becoming me and all the other neat blogs responding to this Blog Mission Tour!

9 comments:

Mari said...

I've always enjoyed reading...thanks for sharing.

Julie said...

What a beautiful post.

Thank you for coming by my blog for a visit. I love having visitors.

It's nice to meet you.

Julie

dlyn said...

I am enjoying the Blog Mission Tour too - so many great blogs to learn about! I am bookmarking yours for future visits as well!

Anonymous said...

I come here and the first thing I see are giant cookies? I'm hooked already... :)

I absolutely understand exactly what you mean about being an English major and the moment you realize you'll never be a "Creative Writer". Oh, but if I could have stayed in college writing research papers I would have been happy! Oh wait, I'm already happy...well, never mind.

Anyhow, thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm going to enjoy digging deeper into yours as well.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

English major huh...wanna be my editor. Just kidding. I have loved your blog since I found it through the 5m4m blog party. Your writing is lovely and your messages often minister to my heart. Thank you for participating.

Shanda said...

I started my blog on a whim a couple of years ago. My kids were sick with the flu, and we were sequestered to the house for more than a week. It's amazing what it has become for me.
Anyhow, it's good to meet you through this blog mission tour. I'm bookmarking and will be back again soon!

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

i too started around january of this year. :-)

real enjoyed your post...thanks for sharing your heart.

Elizabeth said...

I'm amazed at what a little thing like the blog mission tour has done for me. I've met quite a few new bloggers, and I am so glad that you are one of them.

Creative writing is hard for me too, but ask me to write a 10-page paper for school, no problem. I always wished I majored in English.

Can't wait to read more.

Miranda said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I enjoyed reading. The picture of you and your husband washing each other's feet was beautiful and that's a really cool idea!