Sunday, January 04, 2009

Books, books, books

I made my Reading List for 2009, and just in case you're interested, here it is!
In no particular order:

I have to finish reading The Wounded Heart by Dan Allender, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, and Reading Lolita in Tehran (author unknown right now).

Spiritual books include Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne, Reimagining Church by Frank Viola, Letters Across the Divide (?), Helper by Design by Elise Fitzpatrick, Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp, and Living More with Less (is this spiritual?).

Parenting/child-raising books include Basic Montessori by David Gettman, Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky Bailey, How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way by Tim Seldin, and Montessori: A Modern Approach (can you tell I'm gearing up for home-Montessori schooling for Bear?)

And my miscellaneous group of books including nonfiction and fiction: A Natural History of the Senses by Diane Ackerman, Last Child in the Woods, The Unconsoled, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, plus sundry children's literature (I'm determined to read all of the Anne books this year).

Also, some of the highlights of books I read in 2008:
The Lovely Bones-Alice sebold*
The Divide-Nicholas Evans
Unless-Carol Shields (this was a re-read, but so good)
What is the What-Dave Eggers
The Tale of Edgar Sawtelle-David Wroblewski
*I recommend this one cautiously; it is a brilliant book, and very poignant, but deals with a hard topic, definitely not recommended for young readers.

4 comments:

Mellie_Blogs said...

Wow, Misty, great list! I am hoping to get more reading done this year, but I just can't seem to find the time!!!! I must figure out a way to work it in. You'll be my reading role model! : )

Misty said...

haha... well it's always a toss up b/twn knitting and reading... too bad you can't do them at teh same time! (the books i want are seldom on tape)

Anonymous said...

Just to give you a plug - I have really been enjoying Cornelia Funke's books (Drangon Rider, and the Inkheart trilogy) and I think you will love them too!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear more about how you're prepping for Montessori homeschool.
My husband and I are planning to do the same thing with our kids.

BTW, what brought you to do Montessori at home?