Friday, May 30, 2008

Simple living

I'm reading Janet Luhrs's Guide to Simple Living and here are some quotes that I love:
Simple living is about living deliberately.
Living deeply means living consciously...being fully present, fully aware.
Living deeply means living intimately...closely tied to the people, places, and things in your life.
(this next quote really hits home with me)
It is much easier to stay busy and frantic than it is to love and know ourselves and others deeply. We're busy because we want to be busy. Staying busy appears to give our lives meaning, and staying busy is safe.

I don't want to be safe; I wan to live life fully and fearlessly, and teach my sons to love others and choose to be still when there is a time to be quiet and choose to have a few simple relationships so they can love deeply.

Anyway, so far, I'm enjoying this book and am eagerly looking forward to exploring how my faith fits into this, as well as moments of practical application as I protect and nurture my home and raise my sons.

On a side note, we ate from the products of my efforts last night! I made a delicious (if a tad garlic-y) pesto served over pasta-so simple and so yummy! It was truly fascinating to pick basil from my garden and produce a delightfully fresh sauce! This is dangerous ground: I might actually want a huge garden next year!! I am also enjoying some gorgeous flowers as my hydrangeas and gardenias are blooming. The gardenia is scenting my entire house w/ the cuttings I gathered this morning, and it is wonderful.
Still working on my banner pole; I promise pictures very soon!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Misty! I made pesto this week, too! I use spinach in the winter and basil in the summer -- yum-O!

And I'm learning not to be too busy, too. It's HARD. Especially when I want to be everyone's best friend. :)

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Oh, yum... pesto! :) That sounds wonderful!

Don't you just love the Simple Living book? :) I bought it at Goodwill years ago for 99 cents (after repeatedly checking it out from the library). Although I must make sure read it through the "filter" of God's word, when the book tends to lean in another direction. It is certainly inspiring, though.

I pray for God's blessings of peace upon you & your family. Thanks for visiting my blog.
Michele
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

Jennefer said...

I am reading that book right now too. I have learned a lot from it. It is a good follow up to voluntary simplicity.

Mellie_Blogs said...

Hi, Miss Misty! The pesto sounds wonderful! That's one thing I haven't tried to make yet. God knows I have plenty of basil! HA!

Your words on living simply and business being safe...wow that struck me. I have trouble with being still (though I am inherently lazy LOL!) but I have been carving out early morning time for stillness... I can totally see how business can be confused with safeness...

I guess I will have to look for that book now! So far every book I have gotten as a recommendation lately has been wonderful!

HUGS from TX!