Saturday, August 22, 2009

Books that changed me

Better late than never, right? I saw this at several of my favorite blogs (Megan, Sarah, and Elizabeth, to be exact) and am only now getting around to doing it myself... it sure seems like we have read many of the same books!

Books that have changed the way I. . .

think about marriage: The Mystery of Marriage by Mike Mason (*this is actually the only marriage book I've ever read, and I did love it; however, I was single both times I did read it, so I'm due to read this and this.)

think about politics:

appreciate Christian spirituality and the personal essay: Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller, The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne, Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell, and A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken


view the writing process: Since I'm not technically a writer, I'm including the essay in college that had the biggest impact in thinking about the process of writing, Slouching towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion


mother: The Baby Book by Dr. Sears, Grace Based Parenting by Dr. Tim Kimmel (still reading this one, but it's great), and Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky Bailey

go about my daily work: they're not books, but many of them ought to be: the blogs in my sidebar and in my favorites folder leave me inspired and convicted quite often

feed my babies: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and BestFeeding

feed my family: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

think beyond myself: What is the What by Dave Eggars

I love books so much and this is just the tip of the iceberg of books that made an impact on my life!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love that we both love reading, too! And you've got some great books on your list. I enjoyed Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, but it did overwhelm the perfectionist in me. I'm about to start Grace-Based Parenting, which I think is the best title for a parenting book ever! Are you reading anything now?

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Ohhhhhh, I can't wait to read Grace Based Parenting! I have had that in my Amazon cart FOREVER and I need to just get it. I've heard so many good things.

Thanks for sharing your list, mama!

suzannah | the smitten word said...

so many goodies:)

Gioietta said...

Hey Misty, I just found your blog through the link of fb! I think we have the same taste in books (love the first two you mentioned on Christian spirituality). I haven't been blogging in a while. In fact i started a new blog with wordpress mostly to keep family updated with kids stories/picts..i don't think I have updated in a couple of months! wow! I will check out some of the books you mentioned. I love love to read and have a secret yearning to be a writer (who writes!)

Gioietta said...

Oh, this is Miriam W. btw (new friend of your friends in Memphis ;)