Saturday, March 07, 2009

Cornucopia

Ok, one doesn't normally think of cornucopias in the middle of spring (it IS spring here in the Big D, even if you are getting cold weather everywhere else!), but I feel like we are in an abundant season, both physically and emotionally.


Case in point, after our typical week of shopping and my first-ever delivery from a local fruit and veggie co-op, we have so much produce on our countertop! Oh, and the picture doesn't show the HUGE potatoes we also scored--after I bought a 5 lb bag of them!!




Funny note: we have taught Bear to call grapes "uvas," the Spanish word, and he thinks all small round fruit are uvas. And don't cherry tomatoes just look so inviting? He sure thought so, but I guess that acidic taste was not quite what he had in mind!!


In terms of emotional security, I was in rather a Slump (a la Dr. Seuss) late last week because I've really struggled with eating well and making other healthy choices and then reeling from the ensuing guilt. However, I got a very encouraging email from friend (yes, G, that's you!) and I got a much-needed kick in the heiney so to speak. I feel much better now, even after a day of eating the right kinds of foods, even if my glucose readings haven't quite reflected that yet. I think I'm finally at a point where I want to do this diabetic diet for Me rather than even the baby inside me. I need it. I want it.


This is going to seem so unconnected, but I cleaned house like mad tonight, and that did so much to lift me up! I'm not sure if it was nesting, per se, but I needed the tops of counters, shelves and all surfaces to be cleaned off, and I made that happen tonight. I feel like I'm in a clean haven, and it's lovely!!! (I should say that Hunny ritually cleans the living room every single night, and it is so nice to wake up every morning and come out to a picked up space, even if it only stays that way for a mere few seconds!)


I've been keeping my hands busy with knitting the romper for Gilia's baby boy, whose arrival should be in a few weeks if he doesn't come home early. I'm not sure it's going to be the going home outfit she wants it to be--it looks huge to me! We'll see. Pics to come.


And one more randomness, we made the yummiest dinner tonight: very easy, very quick, delicious, nutritious, and relatively kid-friendly! (Was that a commercial?) I've had so much marinara-themed things lately that I'm just bored and sick of anything tomato-based right now: pizza, pasta, whatever. I saw this idea on a blog (I'm so sorry, I can't remember where), and thought we need to try it out! So stinking yummy. Seriously. And so adaptable, so if you don't like the ingredients we used, do your own!


Mediterranean Pizzas


whole wheat pitas, your favorite hummus, feta cheese, fresh baby spinach, red onion, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, etc. Take the pita (I got the pocket-less kind), spread with hummus (I recommend roasted red pepper, but Hunny and the boys ate roasted garlic), leaving a little edge for a "crust." Then top it off! Hunny liked all of the above and also included some portabella mushrooms he needed to eat. I ate mine with just spinach, feta, artichokes, and olives (by the way, I made chiffonade with my spinach to avoid that whole one-bite-means-you-eat-all-the-toppings-at-once-syndrome.) I made the boys' version pretty plain: hummus, olives, spinach, tomatoes, and feta. Bear didn't eat much at all tonight, so I'm not sure I can say either way if he liked it or not, but Bunkin approved.


Anyway, I'm back to blogging a bit, after my accidental hiatus. Writing my letters was good for me, but was also emotionally wrought, so I needed space afterwards. And of course, knitting has been taking up a lot of my spare time, so if I'm absent in the weeks to come it's because this romper is making me go crazy! :)

4 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

That pizza sounds yummy! And I'm glad you are back now.

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Yummy! That sounds delicious!

I've been thinking of you. The diabetes sounds so frustrating. I hope you're able to come to a peaceful "stabilization" of this soon! :) Are you able to eat potatoes with diabetes?

Blessings,
Michele

Biz said...

That pizza sounds YUM!

Wish I could get all of mine to eat like that.

Bunkin is too cute.

And, yes, we do owe each other some email time.

suzannah | the smitten word said...

i love that you have your kids eating hummus and feta!

is your diabetes gestational or more permanent? blessings to you as you work it out!