Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Leave of absence, sort of...

As is obvious by now, I've not been a very good blogger in terms of frequency! Part of it is simply being summertime, there is more to do, and part of it is just where I am in life right now. I've had spurts of things to say, but a lot of it would have been complaining, and I didn't want to drag anyone down with me so to speak!
To update everyone in my personal life, I have about 4 weeks til we deliver this baby, which I'm greatly looking forward to, even though I'm quite disappointed it looks like I will need a repeat c-section. I'm grateful that Hunny and I have two friends willing to come all the way to Texas to help us out, but I'm still battling fearfulness for surgery recovery (if it comes to that) and still needing to be Mama to two little guys at home as well. I'm also nervous about what 3 kids look like in "real life"--I thought going from one to two was hard!
Speaking of real life, this is actually my main incentive to take a decisive break from blogging (as opposed to the accidental beaks I keep taking). I need to get stuff done. I just got done reading an excellent article about being a calm mother and "getting off your butt parenting", but while I read those posts, I yelled at Bunkin at least twice without physically diverting his attention and redirecting him, and I ignored a plea or two from Bear for me to help him do something... also while having my couch covered in laundry that's been sitting there for two days not folding itself! I can make a hundred excuses for why I don't feel up to doing certain activities, but the truth is, often I take the lazy route, leaving me with disgruntled kids and myself highly frustrated as well. I need to take a season, especially with this new baby, to reprioritize balancing real life and all the other things that take up my time (crackbookfacebook, anyone?). I have a girlfriend who refuses to get on the computer at all while her kids are awake... I'm on mine all day long for various reasons. Instead of reading about parenting, I need to DO parenting. It's great to be inspired and convicted and read about spiritual disciplines or healthy/natural living, but to what avail if I'm not actually DOING any of those things?
So... I need a break. I'm sure there may be random posts here and there if I'm particularly inspired by something or just want to show off my latest crafty adventures, and certainly I'll post when the new little man is here, but til then, I'm going to lie low both in my own blog and in the rounds I make reading others' blogs (in fact, I'm going to clean up my sidebar and narrow down to the blogs I truly love and get something from instead of trying to keep up with the blogging Joneses and link to everyone).

6 comments:

suzannah | the smitten word said...

good for you for paring down and focusing on your boys. make sure you're carving out some kind of daily "you" time, too--it is necessary, not indulgent.

and for the record, i don't think a very pregnant mom to two toddlers can actually qualify as being lazy, no matter how big the pile of laundry!

Elizabeth said...

4 weeks is so soon! My friend Liz is due on the 20th and she is getting so miserable. Hang in there and enjoy your last few days. I know it's hard, though. You know I'd come fold that laundry and chase your boys if I could.

A break sounds wise, and I'm thinking of doing the same for the summer. The computer is just such a distraction, and I feel convicted on a daily basis that I'm not giving my kids the attention they need. You've got me thinking.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Enjoy your summer... well, as best you can with two toddlers and a third trimester pregnancy in the southern heat.

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

Oh, Misty, I totally get you! I have a lot of the same feelings. I kind of look at my blog with mixed feelings these days. I love blogging, but feel guilty when I don't keep up with it.

I think you are wise to take this break, especially at this point in your life. I think going from 2 to 3 is a major transition. With two, you've got a hand for each kid. With two, you can do "man-to-man coverage" with your husband.

I'll miss you and hope you do post once and a while (and definitely put up pics of the new little one!!!). Come back to us as soon as you are ready!!!

J Luck said...

Hey Misty,
I am thinking of you and praying for you. Been looking for any new posts on rav and so I tracked you down. Breaks are good. Have a nice snuggly-nesty time with your little guys before newbie shows up.
JodyL from Rav

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Oh, I'm so glad you're going to have some help after your C-section! I've been thinking & praying for you!

Blessings to you during this final stretch,
Michele :)