Saturday, April 05, 2008

Ladies' Night Out!

I hosted a dinner party last night! Well, actually, A hosted at her lovely house, and I prepared the food! I have been talking with Hunny lately about just needing Misty time, and I've been taking Saturday mornings to do as I please for a couple of hours to re-charge. However, a few weeks ago, I got the idea to host a dinner party for two simple reasons: I love to entertain and cook, and I wanted to feel like Misty-not-Mommy for an evening. My three closest girlfriends were able to make it, and the rules were simple: no talking of hubbies or LOs, but we sort of broke that rule. It was still such a nice night to laugh and catch up on each others' lives. I decided to celebrate the arrival of Spring with a Caribbean-inspired menu plan, and I think it was a success!

Appetizer: black bean hummus [mod: 1 can black beans and 1 can garbanzo beans] and fried plantain chips

Cocktail: we made this virgin (two pregnant mamas and a breastfeeding mama!)

Salad: Romaine with a Pineapple Vinaigrette that Bet made up! (1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 c pineapple juice, 3 Tbs red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste--mix well! I was also supposed to serve it with toasted coconut, macadamia nuts and bacon, but I forgot the last two at home!)

Entree: Jerk Chicken Skewers [mod: I just baked the chicken because it rained, and didn't skewer. the cucumber dip was fantastic as a condiment, though. also, we served with a side of brown rice.]

Dessert: Chocolate Natillas [with toasted coconut instead of coffee-bean granita, and which were the low point of the meal for me, personally. a lot of work for something that tastes a lot like pudding!]

All in all it was a wonderful night hanging out with the girls and eating scrumptious food!! I wish I'd remembered to take a picture of the spread!

3 comments:

Mellie_Blogs said...

Lucky Duck!!!

Good for you!

The menu sounds awesome!

When I started getting together with my gf's (other than for playdates) it did wonders for our whole family!

Anonymous said...

I have been absolutely raving all weekend about your fabulous menu! It was such a treat! I'm only sorry we didn't get to play mah jong as well, but I was beat by the time I got home so it's really for the best. We MUST do this more often. It was great to at least try to talk about things that didn't have to do with our families. 3 cheers for Misty!

Kellie said...

This sounds like such a fun idea for a Girl's Night "in"! And the menu does sound yummy!