Thursday, March 20, 2008

In "Other" Words...



I found this quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson (whom, incidentally, I hated studying in college Early American Lit class), and found it to be rather provocative, and telling:
A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.
I think it is very true, from both a Christian perspective and a "worldy" one.. both for what happens in our homes or public life (our "work" area) as well as our inner workings. Definitely something to think about, eh?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's the mr. linky for?

love the quote. i totally agree. God made us to worship, so if we are not worshipping him we will find something else to fill that need.

Kellie said...

Definitely! I guess I haven't thought of it as "worship" but that's what it is...I get so wrapped up in the things of this world sometimes! Thanks for the reminder.

Mellie_Blogs said...

HI! I love that quote. It's the first time I read it.
It's a great reminder, as it said, to be very careful what we worship.

I think we (at least a large % of us, anyway) go through this world, not really thinking about where our worship goes. We have to consciously turn our hearts and minds to Our Lord...and in doing so, hopefully it will become less and less of a conscious effort and more of a natural action.

Mellie_Blogs said...

I hope you don't mind, I linked to this entry in my blog....it is something for everyone to read!
: )

Anni said...

do you know the source of this quote? it's great!