Sunday, January 11, 2009

Motherwear's Breastfeeding Carnival

Welcome, Motherwear blog Carnival of Breastfeeding readers!

My 2009 Breastfeeding Goals

Since becoming a mother 3 years ago, I have learned more than I thought possible, both about myself and who I would become as a parent. Without having a mother to turn to and ask a lot of specific questions, and only a couple girlfriends who’d had babies before me, I felt lost at times. I’m grateful that I did have a mentor in my life previous to my becoming a mom who casually told me about some of her child-raising experiences including co-sleeping, cloth diapering, child-wearing, and breastfeeding. When I finally had my first son, I knew that for me, not breastfeeding was not an option. That decision cost me a lot of tears in those first few weeks while Shea and I tried to establish a good latch and routine. Sure, I read a few books, some even with great pictures, but I didn’t feel brave enough asking for outside help.
Something magical happened around six weeks when it seemed as if Bear just “got it,” and our nursing experience became the sweet bonding time I’d heard and read about. When my second son was born, I again knew that breastfeeding would be the only way for us. Imagine my dismay when due to some glucose problems he had in the hospital, the nursery staff did not allow me to nurse him for almost our whole duration after labor. I almost gave up completely because he just would not nurse after the ease and ready milk provided by the hospital bottles. It took almost a full 24 hours with both of us frustrated before he gave in, nursed, and we successfully nursed for a year, and now I’m pregnant with my third child.
My breastfeeding goal for 2009 is just to relax and to be brave. With Bear, I discovered a few like-minded moms through AP forums and websites, and I secretly envied their ability to nurse in public with no qualms. With Bunkin, I got much braver and said “My baby comes first!” and was able to feed without too much self-consciousness. My breastfeeding advocacy has been mostly word-of-mouth, encouraging new moms of the benefits of breastfeeding, although I did join the Facebook group Hey, Facebook, Breastfeeding is Not Obscene. For me, relaxing and enjoying this new little one is paramount to what I have planned in 2009. If there are opportunities to share about my experiences, I would love to be an encouragement to any mom or mom-to-be, and encourage her to relax and be brave as well, because breastfeeding is truly a blessing. Breastfeeding is so much more than just milk, although at it's most base, at least it's about that! But thankfully it can also be about closeness, fingers entwined, baby eyelashes against baby cheeks, and that slow, steady breathing that means the world, for a while, is at peace.

(a picture of me and Bunkin when he was about 4 weeks old)


Check out some of the other breastfeeding goals (I'll update as the posts go live!)
Beautifulletdown
Hobomama
zen-mommy
Motherwear
Milkact
Breastfeeding123
Blactating
Breastfeeding123
Mamaknowsbreast
Breastfeedingmums

11 comments:

LunaMoonbeam said...

what a fabulous post!i'm in the process of nursing my second-born. It's a very different thing from nursing my eldest, but I wouldn't trade it1!!

Melody said...

Wonderful post! I tried for 3 months to breastfeed my baby, but due to his breathing problems and other health problems I was having, I was forced to stop. If I can ever have another, I definitely want to try breastfeeding again!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I do remember the blog party last year (I was just wondering today when the next one will be!), I love your blog, I'll be coming back again for sure! :)

Lauren Wayne said...

It's so inspiring to hear a mother's story of pushing through the difficulties. It sounds like you were really determined, and it paid off!

I love that picture, too -- so sweet!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet picture and great thoughts. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this next experience goes for you.

Anonymous said...

Such an inspirational post and I'm so pleased for you that your experience with breastfeeding has proved so positive :)

Have a great year ahead!

Anonymous said...

Really trustworthy blog, please keep updating with great posts like this one.
Eeveryone love fashion clothing, Polo Ralph Lauren is very popular all over world, that is my dream to get Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts.We know Ray Ban by America soldier, all of them wear Ray Ban Sunglasses when they walk on the road, it is fashionable for you.

Sam said...

Well done. I m certainly pleased with the value of the information offered. I expect that you keep up with the fantastic job accomplished.
locksmith miami fl
Nashville TN Locksmith
Locksmith Berkeley CA
Locksmith Sunnyvale CA
Locksmith Fremont CA
Locksmith Newark CA
locksmith plano texas
mesquite locksmiths
miami locksmith
mesquite tx locksmith
locksmith miami fl
locksmith plano tx
aventura locksmiths
locksmith plano texas
aventura locksmiths
locksmith fort worth
miami locksmiths
Hialeah FL Locksmith
locksmith irvine ca
pembroke pines locksmith
irvine ca locksmith
aventura locksmiths

runescape-powerlevel said...

In a report dragonica gold obtained by the newspaper, Dr. Francisco Meza dfo gold says adult film companies refuse to ddo plat cooperate with the investigation eve isk, and stage names for everquest plat performers make it difficult eq2 plat to track down partners. The Los Angeles faxion gold Times reports that fiesta gold health officials are struggling to flyff penya make headway on a probe, a process that gaia online gold is usually much more efficient when grand fantasia gold there is a disease iris gold outbreak.

In an gamegoldbuy blog interview with The guild wars gold Associated Press on knight noah Friday, Obama predicted loco gold that Congress would raise last chaos gold the debt ceiling, but he acknowledged legend of edda gold that he would have to offer lineage 2 adena more spending cuts in the budget mabinogi gold to get a deal. Later, Obama's spokesman perfect world gold said a debt ceiling vote ro zeny could not be contingent rf online gold on upcoming negotiations rohan crone over the budget.

"I think that what rift platinum we have to runes of magic gold become aware of rift platinum is that if we allow taxes shaiya gold to fill in the holes silkroad gold here, we are going to find that we are swg credits getting ever closer to the type of vindictus gold economies that exist in warhammer gold Europe, which are very heavily wonderking zed laden and not rapidly growing the ways zentia gold ours can," Greenspan said on NBC.

polo ralph lauren outlet said...

I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this web site. I am hoping the same high-grade web site post from you in the upcoming as well. Actually your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own site now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a good example of it.

abercrombiefitch said...

The 1995 model was extremely popular Nike Outlets for a long time and saw many colors introduced. 2011 Cheap Nike Air Max Online Store Its popularity has waned, but many people still love the shoe. Originally it was met with some skepticism due to its suede construction, UGG Outlet Store. high price tag and neon accent color. International collectors quickly came to love the Air Max 2011 shoe and eventually it became popular in the United States as well.

TITAN GOLD said...

ran up and Grand Fantasia Gold eliminating most Guild Wars 2 Gold of the effort Iris Gold.Really see too low Knight Noah to friends! which will Last Chaos Gold include the previous Lotro Gold day to save the live s of kindred Mabinogi Gold absolutely Vindictus Gold.not at all mind the Maple Mesos enemy Buy Mesos.but also in the invisible Maplestory Mesos film Ashikaga General a very loud ass Metin2 Yang.like a lumbering Nostale Gold elephant to Perfect World Gold deal with the same mice R2 Gold,Suddenly see Ragnarok Zeny a group of savage Runes of Magic Gold,shouted: Who.Rappelz Rupees Xu Tiande great surprise Shaiya Gold,Side arms of Silkraod Gold the legendary Swtor Credits Dream Volume Cavalry Tera Gold.......... Moedas PW......